[HGI-News-de] HGI Kolloquium Do. 28.05.: "Secure VPNs for Trusted Computing Environments" von S. Schulz

Newsletter des Horst Görtz Instituts hgi-news-deutschland at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Di Mai 26 11:42:03 CEST 2009

Hallo,

im Rahmen des HGI Kolloquiums "Aktuelle Themen der IT-Sicherheit" wird
am kommenden *Donnerstag* der folgende Vortrag angeboten:

Steffen Schulz (SysSec):
*Secure VPNs for Trusted Computing Environments*

Termin:
Donnerstag, der 28. Mai um  11.00 Uhr (*s.t.*)
Raum: IC 4/161

Interessierte sind herzlich eingeladen!

Abstract:

Virtual Private Networks are a popular mechanism to allow the use of
perimeter security measures for complex network infrastructures.
Enforcement of access restrictions on the endpoints of the VPN becomes
difficult however if the endpoints of the VPN are, e.g, personal
computers for remote user access. Commonly employed measures like
anti-virus or software agents fail to defend against unanticipated or
targeted attacks. ­
­
The Trusted Computing Group invested significant work into platforms
that are capable of secure integrity reporting. However, trusted boot
and remote attestation require a redesign of critical software
components in order to be useful. In this work, we design and implement
a VPN architecture for trusted platforms. We solve the conflict between
security and flexibility by implementing a self-contained VPN service
that is isolated from the operating system environment visible to the
user. We develop a hardened version of the IPsec architecture and
protocols by addressing known security issues and by reducing the
complexity of the underlying protocols. The resulting prototype
implements secure user authentication, access control and secure
channels via IPsec ESP and IKEv2 in only 5,000 lines of code. We expect
this focus on security and reduced complexity to result in inherently
more reliable and therefore more trustworthy software.

Informationen über die nächsten geplanten Vorträge im Rahmen des
HGI Kolloquiums sind auch im Web zu finden:
http://www.hgi.rub.de/hgi/hgi-seminar/aktuelles

Gruß,
Mathias Herrmann